TWO DIFFERENT REACTIONS from TWO FIGHTERS

Sunday, June 10, 2012


An uncharacteristically quiet media room welcomed Timothy Bradley who faced the press in a wheelchair after the fight.

Bradley had just won his WBO welterweight bout against 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, breaking his 7-year, 15-fight winning streak. The American fighter on the other hand, remained undefeated.
While Bradley said he felt he won the fight, he showed some surprise at the decision that many felt was unfair.
"I'm still shocked. I really don't know what to say," said Bradley. "But I'm happy, I'm the new welterweight champion."
Praise and defense
Bradley was quick to praise Pacquiao for his performance, admitting he was hit several times by the Filipino boxer.
"Pacquiao is a tough, tough warrior. This guy can punch, this guy has speed, he has everything. All the tools," said Bradley.
The 28-year-old fighter said he had hurt his left foot in the second round hence the wheelchair, but insisted that the judges had scored the fight correctly.
"I persevered, went through the pain. I used my boxing ability towards the end to clear some rounds, maybe the last 5 rounds I feel, to win the victory," he said.
"Regardless of the punch data, he missed a lot of shots in there. A lot of shots that everybody thought he was hitting me with, he wasn't touching me," said Bradley. "Even look at my face, I'm still pretty clean."


'I won the fight'
For his part, Pacquiao expressed no doubt that he had emerged victorious, eliciting cheers from the media.
"I respect the decision, but 100% I believe I won the fight," he said. "We have to respect my opponent also. The decision has been done already, let's give credit to him."
Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach was short of words as well, shaking his head on the podium and saying the judges probably had their eyes closed.
Even Pacquiaos wife Jinkee admitted she was shocked but said that the loss was probably a test of faith, a sentiment echoed by her husband who said that God probably has a plan and it was only right to trust Him even in bad times.
Pacquiao appeared content with the supportive reaction of the crowd.
"The fans, in your heart, you know who won the fight," he said.
Rematch planned
Both fighters expressed willingness to meet in the ring again, with a date already tentatively planned for November 10.

"I definitely would like to do this again," said Bradley. "I heard the boos at the end of the night, which is okay, but we need to definitely do this again in November and you know, let's make it more decisive."
Pacquiao said he would not let it reach 12 rounds come the rematch.
The possible rematch is made possible by a rematch clause in the contract of both fighters, but dims the chances of Pacquiao facing Floyd Mayweather Jr. for a much-anticipated mega fight that has been brewing for years. 
Link from rappler
photo credit from different sources

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

We Heart It

Subscribe